<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3640593\x26blogName\x3dHugo+Stop\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://hugostop.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://hugostop.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8093545002261338892', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

 



I am a Los Angeles-based twentysomething. I have a profession, and I have a secret life in music, and this blog isn't about any of that. I like Blogger because I can't read what you're thinking.

I Approve Of These Links

- A Blog Supreme
- AdamRiff
- AdFreak
- Hermitology
- Losanjealous
- Piano Jazz


Monday, October 10   >>

HOW VH1 UNDERSTATED ITS OWN PROGRAM TITLE

Have you ever watched television and talked to yourself?

I have. Well, last night for the first time.

Last night, I caught the finale of VH1's The Surreal Life. As the credits rolled, I, alone in the living room, said to myself, "That was fucking crazy."

And you know what? It was.

If you've never seen The Surreal Life, it's basically VH1 exploiting former headline legends and A-to-B-to-C-list celebrity. How? Well, by getting them drunk and making them live together for 3 months' worth of episodes.

It's one of the most unique shows in its kind. By no means am I trying to upgrade the bileness of this reality program, but it does have some substance. The drama that ensues (scripted by producers or not) is worthy of any water cooler talk. One can't argue with the emotions that just flush out from the house guests. They're real. These people cry, and fight, and yell, and wear the opposite sex's underwear -- all evidence that these people are, in fact, people.

And I think it's worthy of anyone's time. It can really show us that, well, fuck, maybe we shouldn't look at these people as separate beings from ourselves.

All in all, it is trash seasoned with moments that will put you in awe. These people have characters and personalities that were once diminishing as they evaporated from the tabloids, but in this environment they're revived -- tenfold.

And that's just the premise.

I've seen two seasons of this VH1 gig, and I can easily say that I will watch again, if they ever put together a 6th season. If you haven't, be sure you do, too. I think we can all relate to these tools, no matter how much we grow to love them or resent them.

Happy Monday!